Now that we have seen our entry level Timbits skate it is obvious that there is a wide range of skating ability. The “orange buckets” really progressed over the course of the first practice. I know that parents want their players to be off buckets BUT getting off the bucket before they learn to “open their hips” and push sideways will slow their progress.
Orange Buckets will be in one end from the beginning of the practice.
Mark off the orange bucket area with pylons across the blue line
NOTE: Remind parents to move to that end of the arena
- FUN, UPBEAT AND EXCITING…. and no frustration
- Listening to the explanation
- Pushing hard and to the side
Drills: NO DRILL LONGER THAN 4 MINUTES
- Free skate as a warm up
- Simon says – lift, hop, frontwards, backwards, sideways etc
- Circle Skate both directions
- Wave drill – Skate and stop on command (red and green objects)
- Bumper buckets
- Push the individual soccer ball
- Coloured wiffle ball retrieval
- Wave drill – push the bucket away then skate to it.
- Hockey game with pond hockey nets
Closing – Remind them how far they have come in just two practices!!!
Practice outline for the skaters who are working without buckets
Warm up skate: Skate with wiffle balls
ALL IN – ONLY ½ ice since orange buckets are at the other end
- Fast as you can x 2
- One foot push
- Skate and glide on two feet
- Skate and glide on one foot
- Step over every line
- Hop every line
REDBULL RACE – Mass start oval skate with 5 or 6 “gates” or dive through stations
- 2 person Tire tug
Players hold on to a bike tire with one hand and pull each other.
- Small motorcycle tire pull with ropes around the waist
Use martial arts belts and make sure the belt does not slip down around their knees
- One foot push through TALL pylons
The emphasis is on their push with alternating feet
- Shooting on the net
The emphasis is on making sure they shoot with the correct hand…many will not know which they want to use and some will have sticks the wrong way.. This is also a chance to teach them how to shoot and transfer weight. They can try both forehand and backhand.
WRAP UP – Mini games with pucks (2 or 3) and 4 nets